Thursday, November 17, 2011

G.I. Joe Rise of Cobra Polar Sharc Submarine with Ice Storm

Photobucket

Photobucket

When the Rise of Cobra line of G.I. Joe toys was winding down several items were axed by Hasbro...my guess to dwindling sales.  I'm not sure how well the ROC line sold overall, but I know a lot of the toys were relatively easy to find in my parts.

One of these "cancelled" items was the Polar Sharc submarine as featured in the underwater battle scene towards the end of the live action movie.  Somewhere along the way Hasbro seemed to strike up a good relationship with several retailers (Marshalls, Ross, TJ Maxx) and finally found an outlet for some of these items such as the Polar Sharc.  I came across this toy along with the Lava Pod w/ Volcano-Viper at a regional store called Ollie's.  I think I've read reports of people finding these toys at Zellar's in Canada as well.  This vehicle was priced at $9.99.  I always liked the design when I first saw images online so I willingly grabbed it to see what it was like.  End result = A-.

Photobucket

Hasbro did a good job with the likeness of the vehicle when compared to the movie version.  Sure the toy is smaller as it is basically a one man submarine, but that doesn't detract from the overall toy.  The sub features an opening cockpit, retractable guns on the rear fins and rotating engine fins.

Photobucket

 Photobucket

The included figure (or any other figure) simply lays down on their back inside the cockpit.  It would've been better if the cockpit could have been engineered a different way allowing the figure to be positioned a different way, but then that may have altered the overall sleekness of the sub.

Photobucket

Like with most G.I. Joe vehicles you get to apply the stickers yourself.  Since I didn't attempt to do so I can't comment on the quality of the stickers.  I have applied stickers to other ROC vehicles I've bought and those were fine so I would assume the same could be said about these.  There is also a removable torpedo launcher that attaches to the bottom of the sub.  The downside of attaching this is it creates an uneven bottom not allowing the vehicle to sit without looking lopsided.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Ice Storm is the reason I imagine a lot of people bought this toy for.  I wasn't a fan of a lot of the ROC figures and I'm generally more of a Cobra fan than a Joe fan, but Ice Storm here is a really good figure.  I was surprised to see that he came packaged with a gun and a bag as a lot of vehicle drivers don't come with any accessories/weapons.

I'm not up to date on my Joe figure parts knowledge so I don't know what figures Ice Storm was made from, but the waist piece does look familiar.  Articulation is your standard fare.  The "skirt" does hinder some sitting poses, but since he lays down flat in the sub I guess it doesn't matter too much.  The colors are a little bright for a polar themed vehicle driver, but the red and black works.  The blue gloves are a nice touch as it helps break up the colors.

Photobucket

Overall this is a fun little toy and I would think it would have sold better than some of the other vehicles of similar size had it seen a wide release.  It's far better than the Mole Pod / Lava Pod...but then again aren't most other vehicles!  If you can grab this for $10 or less it's a great buy.  I'm in the process of pairing down my toy collection and have placed this toy on Crave.com along with several others.

No comments:

Post a Comment