Monday, March 5, 2012

Transformers 3rd Party: Superalloy C-80 Wheelie

There are tons of third party Transformer related items on the market these days so trying to keep up with them all can be a chore.  While some companies are more predominant in the marketplace (Fans Project) there are some companies (I guess I use that term loosely) that have only released one or two items.  This Superalloy release falls under the latter.  I'm not sure who actually manufactured this toy, but after having it for awhile I decided to give the toy a second look.

Photobucket

When I first acquired this toy I wasn't all that impressed.  I'm not sure what I was expecting, but once in my hands it just didn't have that wow factor.  One of the aspects that I liked the most is the packaging.  The box is done up in a G1 monochrome look very reminiscent of the mail-away exclusives in Japan during the 80's.  Right off the bat you should be able to tell this version of Wheelie is based off the movie/animation model...which is a good thing since the look of the original G1 Wheelie toy sucks donkey balls.

Photobucket

Wheelie features a G1 styled tech spec on the bottom of the box.  While the bio is the same as the G1 version, his stats are different.  Click here for a look at his original tech spec.

Photobucket

I was surprised when I flipped the box over to see this cool Dinobot artwork.  As most of us fans know Wheelie befriended the Dinobots in the original 1986 movie so the artwork is fitting.  I like how Wheelie is riding on the back of Grimlock.  You may also notice to the right a silhouette of a familiar character...Powerglide!

Photobucket

Inside the orange monochrome box is a sturdy plastic tray housing Wheelie, a nice thick plastic trading card, instructions and label sheet.  More of the figure in a minute.

Photobucket

The instructions are also done up in the classic G1 format.  As you can see there are only a handful of steps in the transformation process.  For the most part he transforms relatively easy, but being cast of die-cast metal some of the parts didn't want to fold up that easy.  I especially had trouble with the legs and feet.

Photobucket

The back of the instructions features a much larger and more colorful look at the same Dinobot art from the box.  At first I didn't notice the Sharkticons in the foreground, but in color you can see them much easier.

Photobucket

Also included in the box is a large sheet of decals.  It appears the Autobot and Decepticon symbols have been altered ever so slightly to avoid any potential trouble by Hasbro (I assume).  I was surprised to see the Elite Guard emblems...seems out of place to me.

Photobucket

Whomever designed this toy did a good job capturing the likeness of Wheelie from the '86 movie.  I've heard this toy was ripped off from a Wonderfest exclusive model kit (Jinzai Toys).  This version is mostly die-cast metal which for some will be a plus while others it'll be a negative.  The figure is roughly the size of a modern deluxe figure.  I've got some comparison pics further down in the review.

The head sculpt is great...probably my favorite part of the figure.  Articulation is decent.  I'd say on par with some of the later Titanium figures.  The elbows are ball and socket joints which allow good range of motion.  The shoulders and hips however aren't near as free moving.  The arms can swivel in a complete 360 degrees, but you can only move the legs so much.

Photobucket

Wheelie's vehicle mode looks pretty good.  It retains the same overall look and shape.  I should mention the tires are rubber and are free rolling.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Being cast in die-cast metal some of the parts don't align very well or stay in place.  As you can see here there is a rather glaring gap right in the front of the vehicle which takes away from the overall aesthetic.  The rear view isn't that appealing either.  Just look at those large gaps on either side!  Since I prefer the robot over the vehicle I can overlook these short comings.

Photobucket

Photobucket

There really is no comparison when it comes to robot mode.  Even as a kid I hated the goofy looking G1 version.  I should point out this version of G1 Wheelie that you see here is from the Takara TF Collection reissue that sports the upgraded gray face.  Still there is no comparison.

Photobucket

Alongside his '86 movie companions Hot Road and Kup.  While the head may be a little large compared to these two or other updated G1 characters, I still found that he blends in well.  Sure he's larger than he probably should be and he'll stand out when compared to other minibots such as iGear's Mini Warriors.

Overall though he looks good on my Classics/Generations shelf.  I'm still on the fence whether or not he's a keeper, but I'm glad I at least gave the figure a second look.  If you were a fan of the larger transformable Titanium figures then you'll probably love this figure.  Being a third party item it isn't the easiest or cheapest to find.  If you are in love with this figure then please let me know by making an offer as he'll most likely end up in my new toy store here.

1 comment:

  1. I like the idea of the figure, the execution just seems a little off. He should definitely be smaller to fit in with the classics or even the G1 figures. Although I must say I am loving that Dinobots poster! They even managed to work in Snarl, which is completely awesome! I would probably buy the poster by itself, but I don't want to have to purchase the figure to get it.

    ReplyDelete