Saturday, December 29, 2012

Mega Bloks Halo: UNSC Cryo Bay

Several weeks ago while picking up a few things @ Walmart I noticed a few new Halo Mega Bloks sets I haven't seen before.  There were several new battle packs and some of those figure sets with the large pods...none of them really grabbing my attention.  I saw a new Brute Chopper which looked cool, but then I saw this set stuck behind a few of the Choppers.

Nov19026

Nov19027

I don't have a lot of room to display toys other than Transformers so I really try and resist picking up a lot of other stuff, but I love building block sets so I had to give this one a try.  After all in this one set you get both Master Chief and Cortana!

12-12-12002

The set is small and only clocks in with 72 total pieces.  However there is a lot of good stuff in those 72 pieces.  First I want to show off the Cortana piece.  In the blind packaged figure series there is an actual figure of Cortana, but she looks way goofy.  I know this may seem silly, but this small Cortana piece is what helped sell this set to me.  Cast in translucent blue plastic, it looks pretty darn nifty on display.

12-12-12001

Looking at the rest of the set and you'll notice the very interesting shaped base/floor piece.  It always seems when I'm building a LEGO set that has a floor plate it's always rectangle or square shaped.  Not only is this not a square, but it's not flat either.  Look carefully and you'll notice another layer towards the middle area.

Off on the right side is a weapons rack with three guns.  All 3 are iconic in the world of Halo and I love how they hang and display so well here.  To the left of the weapons is the actual Cryo Bay itself.  The whole bay module sits on a hinged piece that allows the bay to be laid back at an angle or brought straight up to an almost standing position.  The front door also lifts up to reveal the sleeping Master Chief inside!

12-12-12003

I should've taken a few shots of the Master Chief figure (what was I thinking?) as it's a great figure.  I noticed several changes to the typical figure mold that I've come accustomed to with the blind packaged figures I've bought.  Overall this is a great little set and I could easily see this being worked into a larger diorama type set up.  If you're a fan of the Halo Mega Bloks then I'm sure this set won't disappoint.

12-12-12004

1 comment:

  1. I was pretty dubious over these sets, but I picked up the Falcon set for my son a few months ago, and it was pretty nifty. I love the articulation of the figures themselves. Much better than Lego.

    ReplyDelete