Saturday, September 21, 2013

GI Joe: A Real American Hero - COBRA Customs (Part 4)

It's been several months since I pasted the 3rd part of my custom GI Joe Cobra project I had worked on. Funny story actually regarding this piece. The problem of having so many toys crammed into one room is that it's very easy to misplace items. Lately I've been trying to clean up some of the clutter and utilize eBay again to move some unwanted items so I can focus once again on my first toy love, Transformers. This is the last custom Cobra piece I made, and it's one of my favorites.

In the past I took both GI Joe and Cobra vehicles and painted them the classic cobra blue and black for the Cobra rank and file. In part 1 I took the Joe's A.P.C. and "Cobra-ized" it. Part 2 I took a cheap CORPS! helicopter I found at Walmart and re-purposed it into a new Cobra F.A.N.G. In part 3 I took the Cobra M.A.G.G.O.T. and gave it an overhaul.

After doing 3 vehicles, I thought I'd try my hand at a play set. Originally I wanted to use the G.I. Joe L.A.W. from 1986. It was simple enough and I thought it would be an easy task. Then I looked back at the 3 previous projects and I thought I should step it up a little and go for something different. That's when I stumbled across the Joe's Check Point Alpha. At the time I didn't realize finding an inexpensive, yet complete Check Point Alpha could be troublesome as I got a good deal on one shortly after selecting the toy to be the base of my next project.

 photo 9-21-13100_zpsbe9f58a9.jpg

This would prove to be easier to customize than I thought so there went any challenge I had set for myself! In the end however this would prove to be my favorite piece, just edging out the Cobra A.P.C. I sold the 2 of the 3 customs a while ago, but this one somehow ended up on the window ledge behind the light blocking curtains. I'm not sure how long it sat there before I found it the other night! It still looks just as good as when I painted it though. I thought about trying to keep it somewhere, but I've just about sold every loose GI Joe figure I had so what's the point? I had a blast making it and just as much fun sharing it with others.

I don't know if I'll ever customize anything else for Cobra, but the 4 projects I tackled over the course of a few weeks was a blast.

 photo 9-21-13101_zps064448a2.jpg

1 comment:

  1. Wow... amazing job! I'm glad I don't have the talent or the skill to bust out these awesome customs... because if I did, I might give up collecting sports cards and find a new hobby.

    ReplyDelete