Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (Nickelodeon): Shredder (ver 2)

With everything else that I try to follow, the new Turtles cartoon and toy line isn't high on my list.  However if I had infinite time I'd love to sit down and watch every episode of new Nickelodeon series.  That said I was caught by surprise a few weeks before Christmas when I ran across a new version of Shredder hanging on the pegs at my local Walmart.

TMNT Shredder photo 100_5593_zps5df771a4.jpg

TMNT Shredder photo 100_5594_zpsadc168b4.jpg

When the line was first released I bought all 4 turtles and Shredder.  While I loved the turtles, Shredder left a lot to be desired.  Thankfully Playmates has come to my rescue and released a much nicer looking version of the turtles arch nemesis.

TMNT Shredder photo 100_5595_zps868a76e6.jpg

His bio references a fight w/ Splinter that left his face burnt and scared.  I'm not sure when this fight took place or if it was ever shown in any form of media.  All I know is I have a much better Shredder figure standing opposite the Turtles and their allies.

TMNT Shredder photo 100_5597_zpsba736551.jpg

The first thing I noticed about the new figure was the improved articulation.  On top of the articulation, the first is just posed better.  I wish the elbows and knees were articulated, but I'll take this new figure over the old one any day of the week.

His spiked armor bits are also larger and looks far more intimidating, especially on the wrists.  Shredder looks like he's ready to go toe to toe with Wolverine!

TMNT Shredder photo 100_5598_zpsd0718bde.jpg

I don't always care for capes on my action figures, mostly because they are either fabric (which I hate) or the cape is just too cumbersome.  Playmates hit a home run here with Shredder's ripped and worn cape.  The plastic is soft enough that it's somewhat flexible and the length is just right.  It doesn't hinder the ability of the figure to stand on it's own.  Overall its a very nice touch.

TMNT Shredder photo 100_5599_zps5012a13d.jpg

Thats only ugly mug underneath that helmet!  Apparently in the world of TMNT burnt flesh turns a purple-ish pink.  The pupil on your eye also disappears.

TMNT Shredder photo 100_5600_zps8a8dcf18.jpg

When version 2 is stood beside the original Shredder from the line, there really should be no comparison.  The new figure is slightly larger, more poseable and looks much more menacing...you know like a villan should look.

TMNT Shredder photo 100_5596_zpsf5211771.jpg

If you are a fan of this series then you probably have already bought this figure.  If you are a casual fan like myself, you owe it to yourself to pick this one up...even if you have the originally figure.  There are upgrades, and then there are better figures like this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment