Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Marvel Legends Infinite Series: Guardians of the Galaxy - Gamora

As a whole I was OK with the changes made to the Guardians of the Galaxy for the movie. Chris Pratt made an excellent Star-Lord. Batista was better in the role of Drax than I expected and the CGI used for Rocket and Groot was amazing.I had a hard time however accepting Gamora's new look.


This is Gamora's classic look Marvel Comics look. She was depicted in this manner for much of her early career. Fierce looking, yet still sexy.


During the Annihilation Wave and early in her stint w/ the Guardians, Gamara took on a more slightly revealing costume. Not my favorite, but this art by Adi Granov is spectacular.


This is Gamora's modern look. Notice the trademark yellow circles around her eyes and the green hair in all 3 pictures. For some reason they decided to leave those trademarks off the Marvel cinematic version of the character. I wasn't against the casting of Zoe Saldana, but I just wish they would have kept truer to the comic source for the character. OK, now that I have that mini-rant out of the way, let's take a look at her Marvel Legends figure.

GotG Gamora photo IMG_1044_zps22f8378e.jpg   GotG Gamora photo IMG_1043_zps5e37f82d.jpg

I'll start of by saying the designers did a great job at capturing Zoe's likeness. Now that can be a good thing or a bad thing. For me it was the latter. Had it not been for the Groot Build-A-Figure leg that was bundled in the package, I would have skipped this figure. I love the character, but for me this doesn't look like Gamora and thus a figure I don't necessarily care to own.

GotG Gamora photo IMG_1045_zpsb00cc026.jpg

At least they got her bio correct. 

GotG Gamora photo IMG_1046_zps9c35c00c.jpg   GotG Gamora photo IMG_1047_zps05c96812.jpg

I"m not up to date on my Marvel Legends body molds, so I can't comment if this is a new female build or reused from a previous release. The figure is feminine enough, but there lies the problem. The arms are slender, the long hair restricts head movement and the molded high heel shoes prove to be problematic when trying to pose her or stand the figure up without additional assistance.

GotG Gamora photo IMG_1048_zps99946bec.jpg

I don't like the black/red hair and that the yellow circles on her face and around the eyes were omitted. The added green lines on her face do nothing for me. The likeness to the actress is there so take that as a positive if you wish.

GotG Gamora photo IMG_1049_zps50ebbc88.jpg

Gamora is supposed to be the Deadliest Woman in the Galaxy and the only included weapon she gets is a sword? Where is her Godslayer dagger she is famous for? The included sword isn't even that great. She can't grip onto the weapon very easily for starters. Second the sword is cast of a very soft and rubbery plastic making it easy to bend and warp. The way the sword is packaged causes it to come out of the blister bubble already slightly bent. Blah.

Articulation is standard Marvel Legends fare. Neck, shoulders, elbows, wrists, upper mid torso, hips, double jointed knees and ankles. I tried my best to come up with some creative poses or even re-create some I saw online, but I just couldn't pull it off. She kept falling over before I could snap the image so I eventually just gave up.

GotG Drax photo IMG_1057_zps9cd99f8a.jpg

If you are just looking to build Groot, then I highly recommend you skip over this release and just find someone selling the BAF part by itself. Gamora is not a good figure and not worth the $20 retail price. If you insist on getting a movie accurate Guardians character, then stick with Star-Lord or even Drax. As much as I wanted to like this figure, it just falls short on so many fronts.

No comments:

Post a Comment