Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Transformers Robots in Disguise (2015): Springload (One Step)

The problem that seems to be plaguing the new Robots in Disguise toy line is the lack of Warrior class (deluxe) Decepticons. Steeljaw was offered in the very first wave and after that it took a few waves before another Decepticon showed up. Why I'm not sure as there have been plenty of characters from choose from. I've enjoyed the television show and with each debut of a new Decepticon character I've secretly hoped Hasbro would give us a new toy. While I prefer the Warrior class, I'll take a Legion class figure...just give us something new Hasbro!!


When the frog character Springload was introduced in the animated television series, he was on a quest to find the lost city of Dorado. He was a very quirky character, but there was something about him that I really liked. Perhaps that it's because his alternate mode is that of a large bullfrog? Whatever the reason I knew I wanted to buy any toy that was made...even the One Step that was eventually announced.


Up until now I had previously purchased only one other One Step toy, Thunderhoof. These are simplified toys with minimal paint apps meant for the smaller fans, however they still have something to offer the older guys like myself. Packaging is the same style used for this series with the backs offering very little information. No bio, no cross sells. There is a very small transformation sequence shown, no set of paper instructions are included.



Springload underwent a change when he jumped from the television screen into toy form. In the animated series he transformed into a pickup truck as seen below. His One Step toy sports more of a muscle car type and in my opinion that is more fitting of Springload than that of a truck.

The car is decent looking and reminds me of a Dodge Charger a bit. It's molded in a lime green plastic with dark metallic gray paint on the windows. The vehicle carries over the blue trim on the finders. The dark green on the hood has a metallic look similar to the windows. The thing about the vehicle that bothers me the most is you can see his red eyes peeking out on the hood of the car. The wheels also stick out and immediately reminded me of Cybertron Dirt Boss.

The car rolls freely across a hard, smooth surface. Underneath the car you can see the frog legs, but if you didn't know he transformed into a frog you may not be able to figure out these are legs.


To transform Springload from vehicle to frog, simply split the legs and the toy unfolds with the top of the car flipping over onto the top. The legs are very small and basically just fold in and out. In frong mode the legs don't lock into place so if you're not careful the legs will try to fold back underneath the car.

There really isn't any points of articulation here so Springload just kinda sits there. His mouth can't even open or close as it's spring loaded for the transformation.


At this point in the game I'm not holding my breath for Hasbro to give me another other version of this character so I jumped on the One Step toy. It's not great, but it's not horrible either. If I'm being honest with myself I can see myself giving these One Step toys to my daughters to play with versus displaying them with the rest of my RID toys.

There aren't many frog Transformers toys so at least Springload has that going for him. Unless you are a die hard RID collector or just want to buy a new Decepticon, you may be better off skipping this release and holding onto your $10 for something else.

No comments:

Post a Comment